If you’re completely lost when it comes to caring for your houseplants, there are always a few go-to tips that you can count on to make sure your plants stay nice and healthy all year long.
Top 8 Plant Care Tips for Houseplants
- You can prevent those obnoxious little flies by making sure you don’t put tea and coffee into plant containers. The sugars that remain in the compost make it the perfect spot for sciarid flies to breed. If your plant has already become infested with these little critters, Green Thumb is a great way to get rid of them safely and naturally.
- Use trough planters as natural screens – they cut down noise and can also be used as barricades to separate walkways.
- One of the most common causes of plant death is over-watering – so be sure you don’t hydrate your plants too much!
- Your plants need water, light and warmth in order to thrive, so when you are taking a vacation, you need to keep that in mind. Ask a friend or neighbor to keep an eye on your plants while you’re away. Ask them to keep the blinds open and the thermostat up.
- Peat free compost is a great go-to option for all of your houseplants.
- Variegated plants, which have leaves with white edges or white flecks, typically require more light than other plants. It’s best for these plants to be kept close to a window so that they are able to soak up as much light as they need.
- Plants adapt slowly to new surroundings by changing their leaf orientation and structure. Because of this, it’s best if you don’t move your plants around too much – they may have a hard time adjusted to the new locations.
- Prune your plants on a regular basis to prevent them from turning ‘leggy’. It’s not the easiest thing in the world to grow back the foliage from the lower branches once the plant has lost it.
A sure-fire way to keep your plants safe from disease and pests is to spray them with Green Thumb for their daily nutrients. If you’re plants have already become infected with disease, treat them with Pure 3-Way to bring them back to health. The organic ingredients of these products kill bugs and disease naturally, keeping you and your plants safe.