First of all, what is root rot?
Root rot can be a result of prolonged exposure to overwatered conditions, which can lead to some of the roots dying due to lack of oxygen. As the roots die, they begin to rot away. The rot can then spread and kill healthier roots. Root rot can also be caused by a fungus in the soil, which may lay dormant in soil and then quickly manifest when the plant is overwatered. If your plant has root rot, it will slowly begin to wilt and the leaves will begin to turn yellow and fall off for unknown reasons. Once you notice this, you should check your plants roots. Remove the plant from the soil and feel the roots. If your plant has been affected, the roots will look black and will feel mushy.
How do I treat it?
Once root rot has become a problem for your plants, you have to act as quickly as possible in order to give your plant the best chance of surviving.
- First, remove your plant from the soil and wash the roots under running water. Wash away as much soil and affected roots as you can, but remember to be gentle.
- Now, with a sharp, clean pair of scissors, trim away all of the remaining affected roots. If you need to remove a significant amount, clean the scissors with rubbing alcohol and prune back 1/3 to 1/2 of the leaves on your plant. This will improve your plant’s chance to regrow the roots.
- You should also dispose of the pot that the infected plant was contained in to reduce the chance of root rot reoccurring.
- A natural fungicide, such as Pure 3-Way, will also help to treat root rot or kill off any possible root rot fungus.
- After treating root rot, repot the plant in clean potting mix. Make sure the container has good drainage and only water the plant when the soil is dry. Remember: while the plant is establishing new roots, do not fertilize the plant – this can cause your plant to become stressed.
It can be stressful taking care of your plants. From bugs to mold and mildew, the problems just never seem to stop. But, with the help of Pure 3-Way for mold and mildew and Kapow for pesky insects, you can finally have a sense of relief. These organic products get your plants back to health while keeping your loved ones safe from harsh chemicals. To make sure your plants continue to thrive, regularly treat them with the insect and disease repelling power of Green Thumb.