You’ve worked so hard to get your plants in your home looking their best, so you want to make sure that they stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Here are a few tips to keep your houseplants happy and thriving:
How to Keep Indoor Plants Thriving
- Repot every year. This tip is the simplest to follow and the most important to pay attention to. If you make sure your plants have fresh soil every year, they are sure to be much healthier for quite a while.
- Use good-quality potting soil. Good potting is needed to promote healthy roots by providing good circulation, nutrition and the ability to maintain moisture.
- Flush the soil thoroughly at least every month. Take your plant to the sink or outdoors and fully flush the soil to get rid of any salt buildup from fertilizer and deposits from tap water.
- Wick your pots. Insert a wick through the drainage hole in the bottom of the pot. This will get rid of extra water in the pot and improve drainage. By doing this, you are reducing the chances of root rot in your plant!
- Fertilize and control pests. By constantly watering houseplants, nutrients are being leached out of the soil. These have to be replaced by regular fertilization. You must also regularly examine your houseplants for signs of insects and treat the problem right away. You can get rid of the pests with an insecticide such as Pure 3-Way, which kills bugs naturally while keeping your plants and loved ones safe. Once the issue is treated, remember to spray your plants with Kapow to ensure the critters don’t come back!