Herbicides are marketed as quick and easy solutions to weed problems. However, their use does not fix the problem, it only stalls the weeds for a time. If they are used as the sole “solution”, they will need to be used again and again. Preventative methods are a better solution. Weeds need a certain environment to thrive. If that environment is uncomfortable for them, they will be less likely to grow. Working from this simple premise not only saves time and money, but also prevents dangerous chemicals from being released into our environment.
Environmentally Friendly Weed Control
Weed control can be a daunting task. However, with regular maintenance and a few preventative tools, weeding can be manageable, even easy.
- During the growing season, make a commitment to weed 20 minutes every week. Grab a hoe and disturb the little guys before they have the opportunity to grow big and tough. Circle hoes and asparagus knives/weeders are great weeding investments.
- Mulch, mulch, mulch! Weed bare earth thoroughly and place 3 inches or more of wood chips, grass clippings, straw, and/ or leaves over it. This will also help your plants conserve water and provide them nutrients. For pathways and other unplanted spots, place black landscaping cloth (or newspapers) under the mulch.
- Plant beds closely and evenly, leaving little room for weeds to grow. As your plants grow, they will crowd weeds out as they drink all water and shade the bare ground.
- Do not let weeds set seed. If nothing else, clip those weed flowers and seed heads as you see them.
- For concrete cracks, kill weeds with a good clipping and boiling water.
- In the off-season, use cover crops or mulch to prevent weed growth.
- Rotate crops from year to year. Weeds hate that, as do pests.
- Your weeds make a great addition to a hot compost pile. However, if your compost pile is not regularly maintained, i.e. turned and watered, keep out seeds and invasive weed roots.
Additionally try our product line to contribute to a healthy, pest-free garden. Please contact us with any information you need!