It’s no secret that pets and children can be pretty curious around your home, getting into things that shouldn’t be. There are many houseplants that people bring into their homes that can be toxic to your children and plants if ingested. Not every child or pet is going to be eating your houseplants, but it’s important to know the risk of having certain plants in your home. Here are 9 dangerous plants that you just might find in your home:
7 Toxic Plants for People and Pets
- Daffodils are very toxic to both humans and pets, especially if the bulb is ingested. Eating this plant can result in intense stomach problems, such as vomiting and diarrhea. It can also cause high blood pressure, tremors, and an irregular heartbeat. In some cases, eating daffodils can be fatal.
- Hyacinths, like daffodils, can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea when ingested. These can also be fatal to humans and pets, so it’s best to keep these out of your home if you have children or any furry friends.
- Aloe, an always-popular houseplant due to its medicinal properties, like healing burns and cuts. Yes, aloe gel is great for these reasons, but the skin of the plant can cause irritation on human skin and, if ingested, can lead to intestine issues. Make sure the plant’s skin and yellow layer of latex are cut away from the aloe gel before using. The plant is mildly toxic to pets if ingested, but the gel has been used is many dog shampoos.
- English Ivy is a vine plant grown both indoors and outdoors that is poisonous to humans and pets. Symptoms include trouble breathing, convulsions, vomiting, and in extreme cases, paralysis and coma.
- Eating the flower buds of a hydrangea can lead to stomach pains, vomiting, diarrhea, trouble breathing, lethargy, and maybe even lead to a coma. This plant is also poisonous to pets if ingested.
- A favorite to many, Philodendrons are poisonous to both humans and pets, and ingesting can cause painful burning and swelling of the lips, tongue and throat. It can also lead to vomiting and diarrhea.
- Irises are poisonous to both people and pets. If eaten, they can lead to nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea, and fever.
Now that you’ve stocked your home with non-toxic plants, be sure to keep them healthy by applying Green Thumb to them on a regular basis. Green Thumb uses natural ingredients, including lemongrass oil, to prevent mold, mildew, and bugs while also benefiting your foliage.