It doesn’t have to be a hassle taking care of your houseplants and making sure they are beautiful and healthy. Houseplants respond best to the just the right light level, humidity, and temperature. Here are a few pointers that will help you keep your plants nice and vivacious.
6 Tips for Caring for Your Houseplants
1. Provide light: Plants love light, so if you find that there’s no place in your home that’s bright enough, you may want to invest in a lighted plant stand.
2. Create humidity: To raise humidity for your plants, you can easily fill a tray with pebbles, pour water in, and place your potted houseplants right on top. As the water evaporates, it will create humidity in the air around the plants.
3. Check the temperature: You should decide where to place your plants around the house based on the temperature of each room. For a moist, warm environment, you may want to set up a mini greenhouse. For a cooler environment, shut the door of the spare room in the winter. Be sure to avoid heat registers in winter and any drafty locations at anytime during the year.
4. Remember special needs: Make sure you know the exact needs of your plants. Some may need to be moved daily or watered at a specific time during the day.
5. Avoid being overprotective: It’s not uncommon for plants to die from overwatering, even more than underwatering. Overfeeding can also burn the roots of plants. However, you also need to be sure you aren’t stingy with the nutrients; lack of food and water certainly isn’t a good thing. Too much of either can cause plants to be stressed, leaving them vulnerable to bugs and diseases.
6. Beware of pests: Every month, give your plants a once-over to check for any critters. Aphids, mealybugs, and mites are just a few of the pests that tend to plague indoor plants. Check under leaves, along stems, and on the soil surface for bugs, egg masses, insect droppings, or anything else that seems out of the ordinary.
To keep houseplants thriving, you can use products like Pure 3-Way, a beneficial foliage spray, which will kill the pests and diseases naturally. By continuing to treat your plants with Kapow, you’re ensuring that your plants remain healthy by taking care of pests.