As the air outside gets cooler, fewer people are willing to do their gardening outside. Instead, they are opting to put their green thumbs to the test indoors. Houseplants are great for your body and soul, bringing life and clean air into your home. It may be difficult choosing the right plants to bring into your home, but here are our top choices:
6 Great Indoor Plants to Cleanse Your Home
- Aloe. Aside from being a remedy for burns, aloe also helps to purify the air. Aloe absorbs pollutants found in cleaning products, so when concentrations of these chemicals become too high in your home, the leaves will often show brown spots. Aloe should be kept in a bright window and watered thoroughly.
- Rubber Tree. Rubber Trees are incredibly easy to grow and purify indoor air by removing toxins. Rubber trees thrive in low light conditions and cooler homes. Be sure to let plants dry between before you water them to avoid root rot.
- Peace Lily. This sophisticated plant is low maintenance, filters out many toxins in the air, and does best in medium indoor light and cooler temperatures. The peace lily has large glossy green leaves and pure white blooms. It should be watered thoroughly and then allowed to dry between watering. Over watering the peace lily can cause it to die.
- Bamboo Palm. The bamboo palm is great at cleaning some of the most toxic chemicals from the air. These palms require indirect sunlight and consistent moisture. This plant is perfect for those trying to achieve a tropical look in their home.
- Pothos. The popular Pothos Ivy is very easy to grow. It can be found in many different colors and is perfect to add to the kitchens, bathrooms and office. Pothos ivy does well in low-light conditions and needs a moderate amount of water. Pothos is also good at filtering out formaldehyde from the air.
- Spider Plant. The classis Spider Plants thrive in either dry or humid conditions and will still be fine eve if you have trouble remembering to water it. They prefer bright to medium light and are typically grown in hanging baskets. However, Spider Plants can be grown in just about any container. They are great at filtering out formaldehyde and xylene from the air. They also help to filter out carbon monoxide, so you may want to place this plant by the fireplace or in the kitchen.
If you find that your plants have become overwatered and develop mold or mildew, you can treat the problem with Pure 3-Way. Pure 3-Way is a natural fungicide that incorporates organic ingredients, like lemongrass oil, to fight off mold, mildew, and other plant diseases. Once treated, regularly apply Green Thumb to your plants to not only make sure the problem doesn’t come back, but that pests stay away, too!