Are you thinking about starting an indoor garden? If so, there are a few things you’ll need to know to make sure you’re successful when growing your plants. Many people make the mistake of starting a garden without a plan, so by reading this, you’re already more likely to be successful! Read more to learn the five essentials to starting a healthy indoor garden.
5 Essentials for Successful Indoor Gardening
- Growing Medium. First, you need to decide what the right growing medium for your plants will be. First-time gardeners tend to opt for traditional soil-based mediums, but a better option is a medium that’s full of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium – all which are key nutrients in your plant’s health.
- Nutrition. In order for your plants to thrive, they absolutely need proper nutrition. The best way to deliver proper nutrients to your plants is through a good organic fertilizer.
- Lighting. Lighting is an important element in maintaining the health of your houseplants. Lack of light will interrupt the process of photosynthesis, causing your plants to be stunted and eventually die. Some options for providing light for your plants include HID, HPS or LED light bulbs, or you can grow your plants next to a window that provides plenty of natural light.
- Water. Water is obviously an essential element when successfully growing an indoor garden. You should water your plants regularly, based on their individual requirements, to maintain healthy growth. Many plant nurseries sell a moisture meter that tells you when your plants need more water. Simply place the meter down into the soil and compare the display reading to the included chart.
- Propagation. Propagation is the method of creating new plants in your garden. You may want to start new plants from seeds, or perhaps you’d like to transplant small potted plants into your garden? You could even use cuttings from preexisting plants to create new plants. Create a plan prior to starting your indoor garden to make the process easier for you.
Once you have started your garden and established a proper care schedule for your plants, consider applying Green Thumb to your plants on a regular basis. Green Thumb benefits your foliage while simultaneously helping your plants avoid attacks from pests, mold and mildew. Plus, it’s made with all natural ingredients, like lemongrass oil, to ensure the safety of your plants and loved ones!